Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Online Flashcards--A Flash of Inspiration

One quiet Thursday night in the upstairs bedroom of a college apartment complex--a vague location due to my increased awareness of internet safety--I was reading through my textbooks and writing down notes when a longing thought penetrated the mist of boredom threatening to set off the smoke detector . . . what if I could make online flashcards? No hand cramps, no awkward note cards to carry around, the ability to have pictures or more detailed descriptions on them without cutting out and pasting pictures and looking like an over-sized  kinder gardener. . . it sounded so blissful.
The media-and-technology fairy laid a gentle hand on my shoulder and made me jump. "But you can make online flashcards!" She gently chided me. "Have you learned nothing?" "Of course I have!" I protested with embarrassment, shoving the notes away and turning to my computer, dramatic theme music rising with my realization.
And there it was. With the words "flash" and "cards" nestled snugly in the Google search box, I found what I had been longing for. Flashcardmachine.com is a free service that allows you to create your own flashcards, or even create flashcards your classmates or students can use. You can upload pictures and audio, combine sets of flashcards, and share them with others on the site. You can also upload an application that allows you to put your flashcards on your Ipod (with a fee).
In my joy, I suddenly looked back at the media-and-technology fairy with a sour expression. "Really?" I asked. "You couldn't have told me sooner?"   

No comments:

Post a Comment